About Me

My photo
I am, a lover, a fighter, a teacher, a singer, a friend, easily led, defiant, rebelious, unreasonable, considerate, mature, silly, a little bit of everything all rolled into one.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

On books...

So a life changing moment.

Not a recent one but certainly belonging to afirmentioned category.  Today a person tweeted that he recently lost the love of his life because of a quote that Paulho Coelho (author of The Alchemist) had tweeted.  Two things struck me at the time: How could a quote end your relationship? How could anything written by Coelho cause a breakup?

Here is the link..The Alchemist changed my life.  I happened upon the book a few years ago when it was being studied by my best friend for his Honours piece.  I, being a book fiend, coveted a copy and was lost for a few days in this beautiful fabel, only to find myself on the other side dissapointed at the shortness of it and wholy and completly changed. It's hard to describe why..only that the clarity of the message and the simple nature in which it was delievered appealed to the little girl inside me that so loved a good story...and it showed me that destination is inside you...that your journey will end where you began, and that the answer is always within you.
It saddens me that this man could relate his unhappiness to something that Coelho wrote.  It is my experience (after reading everything he published) that the author is someone who writes from experience, from his persepective but ultimately from a place of kindness and love for his readers.  His wisdom has got me through many a dark place and I urge you (demand you!) to pick up something he has written.

It also makes me wonder this...how often do we blame someone else for the things in our life that we wished had not happened?  Does the blame make the reality easier?

So I guess today's lesson for me delivered from a random tweet is that we must accept our own part in our unhappiness, and that laying the blame on someone else although imediately gratifying will not explain why, or prevent it from happening again.

Something from The Alchemist
"When there is not turning back, then we should concern ourselves only with the best way of going forward." -Paulo Coelho

and from Eleven Minutes
"At every moment of our lives, we all have one foot in a fairytale and the other in the abyss."
 -Paulo Coelho







1 comment:

  1. After reading your post, I am looking forward to this. Your post is particular useful, plz keep going. Where can I sell runescape accounts?

    ReplyDelete